Sometimes images take on a life of their own and today’s post is certainly a time when this has happened. I had a plan (don’t we all?), a technique, and an application to share. But as I sat there and began to work, I thought I would make a simple thank you card, I need one for tonight. All of a sudden I was in love with my mock up. Thank goodness I had started with good card stock just in case I could use the image later. This is something I have learned over time. Well, suddenly I was on a roll and I had a set of three cards using Summer Botanicals, that just please me so much! So here is my set of Summer Botanical note cards.
Here is my first card. I made the coneflower into a Black Eye Susan. I then colored with water based markers directly onto the stamps, Then I mottled the colors just a little using a blender pen. Each of the images was then highlighted with Prisma color pencils. I love the finished image when I combine these products, if you haven’t tried this, please do. I think you will like it as well….so much more life and smoothness takes place.
For a special touch and to make the Black Eye Susan look even more real I added Flower Soft in black to the cone. It is such an easy addition. I simply covered the cone with glue from my Quickie Glue Pen then sprinkled Flower Soft on the top and let dry. Of course I will run some cardstock through the crimper and place on on top of the image prior to mailing.
This card was done in the same manner as above. You will notice that I used several colors on the poppies. I did this so that they would not have a flat look when finished. For coloring I blended Orange, Pumpkin, and Red. I then again motteled with my blender.
The ribbons used on the cards are from Flourishes and are a unifying part of this set of cards. The May Arts scalloped Apple green is on each card. The Polka dot changes in each card to coordinate with the flower. The small black with white stitching ribbon ( not from Flourishes), but is a unifying aspect.
Here I have inserted a close up of the image of the poppies for you to get the affect of this motteling. It is soft and shows depth. The same type of technique was used in the next card to give the Lilly of the Valley some life and come off the white on white paper…..so scroll on down.
Here is the last of the three cards from this set. It is my favorite of them all, but they all ran a close race. I outlined the blooms of the flowers with celery marker then using the blender, with just a tad of the red from the poppies, I again did the motteling effect. I just noticed that in the picture there is a stray piece of ribbon, yep I checked the card and it just clung on. I have removed it. But am using this to point up something else I have learned along the way. I often photograph a card when I think it is right, even if it doesn’t seem finished. Then when I view it on the computer screen I have a more objective view of the card. Then I can usually see the direction in which to take the card. I also do this when I am trying to rearrange my studio, decorate a room and the like……it always give me the true image of what someone else sees, besides me.
Well I think that wraps it up for me today, I have another big project that needs my attention. Tomorrow I will work with Summer Blossoms….and it is worth coming back to see.
Thanks for stopping in the Atelier today, please visit the Flourishes Webstore. Please visit each of the Flourishes Team today…they all have wonderful things to share as well
Faith , Julie , Barb, Leslie, Linda, Susan, Nancy and SharonD
Read Full Post »